The Tall & Short of It
Boots are made for walking… and hiking… and sometimes completely submerged in that puddle you were trying your best to avoid or did not see at all! Winter usually comes at the same time every year and as always, retailers do their due diligence to ensure that you’re reminded of this by pushing boots from the end of August straight through February, or even March. However, if you’re anything like the average person, you have a penchant for procrastination and either end up having to choose from the slim pickings that are left after all the early bird winter shoppers have cleaned up shops, or having to splurge on a pair of quality boots that you were not prepared to buy.
Nonetheless, in all of its unpredictability, life happens, and you find yourself standing in the middle of a park, surrounded by snow flurries, with your brand spanking new pair of UGG® classic boots covered in “mysterious” stains. Thankfully, there are some tips for bringing your boot back to a pristine state, no matter how many winterventures this season brings you.
We’re here to advise you that prevention is always the best protection and that those shoe care kits that you often see at checkout lines in shoe stores are not there for decorative purposes, so invest in one! Spraying your boots with UGG’s “Water & Stain Repellant for Sheepskin & Suede” the minute you purchase them will go a long way in keeping them like new. If you aren’t able to get your hands on UGG’s boot care kit, any protective boot spray designed for suede will work just as well. Apply outdoors in a well ventilated area until the boot is damp but not completely soaked. Dry naturally for at least 24 hours and avoid direct heat, including sunlight (which will warp the boots color).
UGG® recommends limiting where you wear your precious boots, particularly avoiding areas where water is plentiful. But as we mentioned before, life is unpredictable, so a stain or two is bound to happen regardless of how careful you try to be.
If you completely missed our earlier instructions on how to prep your boots for wear and tear or you already own a soiled pair, follow the steps below to restore your UGG® boots:
- Use UGG’s restorative “Sheepskin Cleaner & Conditioner”, a super intense leave-in- conditioner for your boots.
- Lightly dampen your boots first with clean water and a sponge.
- Scrub a tiny amount of the solution into the surface of your boots with the sponge.
- When that is finished, use a clean slightly damp sponge to remove any excess residue. (To speed up the drying process, stuff boots with paper (which will also help to keep the boots’ original shape intact).
- Eliminate any foul odours by using UGG’s “Sheepskin Freshener”. Or, customize your scent by using a tablespoon of baking powder, cornstarch, and your favourite essential oil (feet that smell like rosebuds, anyone?)
- When your boots are fully dried, take a brush specially designed for suede fabric and brush in one direction to complete the process.
- Finally, do not be tempted to throw the boots in a washing machine and be done with it. What you will end up with is a lumpy, freakily shaped shoe that probably could have been a boot at some point. Dry cleaning is not an option either.
For all other UGG® boot styles that are not sheepskin, simply wipe them gently with a damp cotton cloth and coat with protective solution.
Other Helpful Winter Ready Tips:
Oil/grease stains – remove with chalk (rub over stain and let sit overnight).
Dirt and salt – use a pencil eraser (gently rub out stain, then finish with suede cleaning solution).
Water (puddle) spots – fold boot over so stain is touching another suede surface, then gently rub together (this is also a miracle tip for those stubborn deodorant marks).